Vista College is currently hiring for an Adjunct Environmental Science General Education Instructor for our online campus.
To learn more about Vista College, visit the website at www.vistacollege.edu
Under the supervision of the Program Director and Academic Dean, an online adjunct faculty member teaches courses for students within their qualifying area of expertise. Adjunct instructors teach courses on an as-needed basis.
The students in this course will gain an understanding of ecological principles and how to handle environmental problems such as water use, solid waste management, global warming, energy use, and conservation of irreplaceable natural resources. Students are exposed to environmental challenges and conversation techniques, in order to be conscientious stewards of nature and agents for a healthy and sustainable community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Present curriculum as stated in the course syllabus based on state and federal accreditation criteria.
- Prepare each online course prior to the first day of class and report any issues to the Instructional Designer and Program Director. This includes:
- Review course syllabus for accuracy
- Verify e-book access
- Review lectures for content accuracy
- Test all links to verify they function properly
- Validate the answers for any quizzes and exams
- Review discussion questions to verify content is appropriate
- Verify all due dates
- Post welcome message outlining all course policies and procedures before the first day of the grading period.
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours.
- Respond to students within 24 hours of initial contact.
- Conduct classroom learning experiences with applicable procedures by:
- Serving as moderator/facilitator
- Hosting guest speakers
- Providing other activities as appropriate.
- Administer and evaluate graded material based upon course objectives and provide feedback to students within 72 hours of due date.
- Maintaining student satisfaction and retention by:
- Identifying “at-risk” students
- Reporting attendance/academic concerns promptly
- Providing a caring and supportive learning environment
- Relating current learning to student’s career and employer expectations
- Providing tutoring and advising as necessary.
- Participate on the discussion board with responses to all student’s initial posts within 48 hours with substantive content along with additional posts that will enhance the learning experience. Minimum expectation is a weekly participation rate of 20% or more.
- Call students who are absent for one week or more and submit notes of pertinent information to the Program Director/Academic Dean/Student Services Coordinator.
- Complete new instructor training and participate in departments meetings, graduation, and other trainings as needed or requested.
- Attend in-services and complete professional development requirements in accordance with school policy.
- Maintain professional certification as required by the field.
- Maintain accurate attendance, evaluation records, and grades, and submit according to campus guidelines and minimum expectations
- Observe “netiquette” rules and act professionally in accordance with expectations as outlined in the employee handbook.
- Check for campus communication multiple times per day and respond within 24 hours.
- Meet deadlines as assigned.
- Maintain student confidentiality as outlined by FERPA regulations.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
General Education Instructors: Prefer a Master’s Degree in the field of Environmental Science or related field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to evaluate and implement curriculum, testing, and/or teaching methodologies in an online environment.
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions on sensitive, confidential issues.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Ability to adapt readily to change.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and virtually.
- Knowledge of teaching methods, curriculum, and education programs.
- Online teaching and facilitation skills.
- Knowledge of academic and/or vocational education curricula.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply relevant current education methodologies.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Work is normally performed in a quiet environment that allows for internet access.
- Light physical effort. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 10 pounds (personal laptop).