As part of Optum Health, Surgical Care Affiliates (SCA), a leader in the outpatient surgery industry, strategically partners with health plans, medical groups and health systems across the country to develop and optimize surgical facilities. SCA operates more than 210 surgical facilities, including ambulatory surgery centers and surgical hospitals, in partnership with approximately 7,500 physicians.
Surgical Management Solutions is an early stage start up backed by Surgical Care Affiliates, a division of United Health Group. Surgical Managements mission is to empower consumers with the knowledge and education to understand their healthcare costs, coupled with seamless access and enhanced consumer experience when they need those services. Surgical Management Solutions was founded by SCA leaders after recognizing a substantial need to better reach and influence consumers to take ownership of their healthcare costs. Healthcare benefits are complex, and many consumers find themselves frustrated with the lack of transparency in the system and lack the simple means of understanding costs and how to access the care they need. The surgical management solutions model is intentionally designed to provide a simple solution to large, self-insured employers to drive down outpatient surgical spend. The model is built around the ability to engage and educate membership to create an exceptional member experience. The SMS goal is to empower members to be well-informed to be true consumers of healthcare. SMS streamlines services and impacts pull through by redirecting patients to the lower cost, higher quality setting of surgical care. SMS partners with employers based on shared savings from a historical baseline spend and distributes savings.
The Director of Business Development & Client Management will serve as a primary creator of new business opportunities that unlocks growth across the enterprise. This individual will manage relationships with health plans, employers, and consultants/brokers—while serving as an ambassador for SMS and its values.
Reporting to the Chief Growth Officer, the Director of Business Development is responsible for driving new business, opening new market opportunities, and fostering a growth-oriented culture. The individual will oversee ongoing client success and have accountability for SMS performance.
- Serve as champion for building accountable growth culture
- Create and manage strategy for external prospecting
- Identify future growth channels with health plans, risk-bearing groups, consultants/brokers, and other capabilities
- Focus on emerging or untapped sources of growth opportunity
- Leverage existing relationships to initiative expanded channel opportunities
- Foster productive executive and key business relationships that result in growth
- Drive annual growth planning process
- Partner with the Chief Growth Officer and other SMS leaders to refine value proposition and sales strategy
- Lead end-to-end sales process for SMS
- Proposal, client engagement, pricing, closing, implementation
- Ensure client success
- Lead relationship with SMS clients
- Ensure pull-through on financial, operational, and experiential commitments by effectively engaging across lanes
- Collaborate with client partners on integration with benefit offering and ensure execution is in-line with strategic objectives
- Foster strong growth-oriented culture in rapidly growing business
- Determine broader distribution partnership opportunities
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Proven client and business development success within health plan and/or within health care industry
- Existing relationships with health plans, large employers, consultants/brokers, and other commercial health care industry organizations
- Active ability to contribute to culture
- Expertise in employer and health plan capabilities (e.g., advocacy, second opinion services, care management, care delivery)
- Proficiency in MS Office, particularly PowerPoint
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Superior presentation skills
- Efficient at material creation and iteration
- Creative and passionate
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We builtan entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work betterfor everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation ofhealth-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or managepharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quoand uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family ofbusinesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideason where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. Foryou, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticatedchallenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and asingular opportunity to do your life's bestwork.(sm)