This position offers you the opportunity to join the world's leading data center experts:
- We are the largest wholesale data center provider in the world.
- We work with the biggest customers.
- You'll gain broad exposure to the data center business, expanding your knowledge of design & construction, operations, asset management, property management and other areas.
- You'll join a seasoned team in Sales Engineering and work with recognized industry leaders on this and other Digital Realty teams.
- You'll enjoy the most diverse career options in a strong-growth organization.
In this role you will perform client, tenant and customer-facing engineering functions in support of customer acquisition, installation scope and custom construction scope, with an emphasis on retail colocation business.
You will become part of our larger Sales Engineering team. You will support the sales team in technical sales solutions in your region and be involved almost from the beginning of any sale. We have a Property Management team on site, and you'll need to develop strong working relationships with this group, as well as with the Design and Construction team. At any given time you will be contributing to multiple sales efforts at various stages. While it can vary, a typical sales cycle looks like this:
- You will lead efforts to respond to RFPs.
- Conduct a tour of one of our data centers, providing technical information.
- You'll support lease negotiations by (1) interpreting the lease to ensure the terms match with the technical specs and (2) supporting pricing efforts, including estimating move-in, power, materials and other costs.
- Once the lease is signed you will coordinate implementation and deployment, acting as the "face" of Digital Realty until the customer's network and equipment are up and running smoothly.
More specifically, you will:
- Support sales teams in technical sales and solutions in all markets.
- Direct prospect engagements, including leading building and site tours, sales calls and proposal generation, and pricing and contract negotiations.
- Act as the primary input channel for operations from sales teams.
- Evaluate customer needs, and then design and present a preliminary solution.
- Serve as primary responder for all customer RFPs.
- Develop cost-engineering and profitability models for large customer opportunities.
- Support Design and Construction Teams in regional markets.
- Provide input, support and essential "local knowledge" for construction projects in the surrounding markets.
- Act as a subject matter expert related to the infrastructure, nuances and pitfalls associated with assigned buildings.
- Act as an "eyes-on" resource for remote design and construction teams during bid, construction and commissioning processes.
- Generate sales leads through professional contacts and networking.
- Participate in forecasting, pipeline and market analysis.
- Liaise with the professional community, including attending technical forums and presenting papers at industry events.
- Monitor and evaluate trends in prospect, customer and target tenant base.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
To be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- 5+ years of solid experience in a B2B sales environment, developing segmentation and go to market strategies preferably in telecommunications, networking, internet, data security, hosting, high tech facilities or related fields.
- Customer-facing skills preferably developed in sales roles, and a demonstrated ability to talk with big data/power users intelligently about data center or similar solutions.
- Technical savvy and a basic understanding of IT infrastructure needs.
- Proven project management skills.
- Expert application software skills including MS Word, MS Excel, and Visio; AutoCAD; and Adobe Acrobat.
- The ability to:
- Grasp big picture requirements and translate them into detail-level specifications.
- Comprehend, analyze, and interpret complex project documents.
- Apply installation standards and project tracking / management documents.
- A bachelor's degree, ideally in an analytical field like engineering.
Just as important as your experience and skills will be the following characteristics and competencies:
- A strong commitment to delivering excellent customer service to clients and co-workers.
- The ability to:
- Learn and apply technical and business concepts quickly.
- Effectively respond, verbally or in writing, to sensitive issues, complex inquiries or complaints.
- Make effective presentations and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
- Work well under pressure and take a proactive approach to unusual occurrences.
- Good organizational skills, attention to detail and openness to new ideas and procedures.
Preferred but not required:
- Product management experience in the IT infrastructure industry.
- Consulting experience in the areas of segmentation, business development, channel development and go to market strategies.
You will spend a good deal of time out in the field, primarily at data centers. You can also expect to be called upon to support data centers in other markets as needed. Most travel will involve day trips, but you should be prepared to travel overnight about 25% of the time.
Digital Realty: Where the cloud lives and business thrives
We built the global standard for technical real estate, developing a unique capability to acquire, manage, and scale data center campuses. Now, Digital Realty is building a unique ecosystem of open solutions that power customer growth through exceptional service on a foundation of unrivaled data center expertise. The new Digital Realty combines unparalleled data center services, carrier-dense interconnection, real estate acumen, and financial strength to create unique power of choice and value when and where our customers need it.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world.
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day—above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
About Digital Realty
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 2,000 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Digital Realty Trust is committed to employing a diverse workforce. We value and actively seek to recruit, develop and retain people with backgrounds, experiences and perspectives that reflect the full diversity of our society.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.