The role of the RDM Release Manager is to be accountable and to coordinate cross functional, multiple phase network implementations, engineering support and service delivery work. They direct tasks, decipher requirements, manage communications and updates, escalates/takes escalations, tracks and manages synergies and dependencies supporting network implementation deliverables. The RDM Release Manager works closely with assigned Engineers, Program and Project Managers and other support and service providers. The RDM Release Manager focuses and forecasts the delivery track of multi-phase work against change and release calendar(s).
Key to this role is having a “better than general” understanding of networking technologies and functions including Operations, Architecture and Engineering, Product and Service Management, Business Services and Finance. The RDM Release Manager must be mindful of how their role impacts the firm’s business and reputation. Concepts such as driving value, always delivering quality, keeping commitments, being on-time and under-budget, effective and detailed communications and understanding how their work impacts how the firm competes in the market place are important. Managing time is critical, developing and managing task efficiently is the key to success. The work the RDM Release Manager preforms has a “start, a middle and an end” and the tasks have to be managed and completed in that structure.
This role is part of a global solutions and service delivery organization. This position will interface directly with internal and external customers/suppliers/providers, Architecture, Product Engineering, Design/Implementation engineering, Change, Service and Product Management, finance and business management and Operations teams. At times, they may interface with various levels of senior management. Strong written, verbal and presentation skills are a must. The candidate must be able to work on their own and successfully in team settings in various sizes and locations. Adherence and use of standards, product sets, templates, systems and artifacts are important to the success of the engineer, the department and the firm at large.
• Must have the ability to understand and translate business requirements into engineering and or implementation details.
• Ability to manage Network technical/engineering/implementation resource tasks and service delivery. This includes FTE/FTC/vendors and partners.
• The candidate must have excellent client interfacing skills, vendor/third-party resources, strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to work with all levels of management. Candidate should have experience operating with colleagues across different time zones with a flexible approach to working hours (ability to work varied hours and weekends a must) in order to successfully interact and communicate on a global level) if needed.
• Accountable to manage the “end or end” successful technical or solution delivery of assigned tasks partnering with Network engineering/implementation teams, program/project manager or directly with the requestor.
• Takes direct accountability for the engineering resources and all assigned work tasks. Is accountable for the STI/Release and Deployment tasks (prior to; up to, during and post the change window through Production Day-One).
• Develops, tracks, reports and manages engineering delivery tasks.
• Anticipates and proactively resolves issues and conflicts within and between engineering delivery work-flows and all other stakeholders.
• Provides regular and pro-active status to STI/Release and Deployment management. Anticipates issues and reports them to STI/Release and Deployment management. Escalates as needed or as appropriate.
• Advocate on behalf of CTO Operations/STI; ensures we communicate/report statuses, issues, positions effectively and in a clear way.
• Works with the various program/project managers to establish release/impact/risk trackers and calendars for the work they are accountable for. Work with other program/project managers and the engineering and delivery teams (i.e. field services) to understand internal/external and associated dependencies. Reacts to them proactively and effectively.
• Responsible report and monitor progress against the release calendar; communicate release details and schedules to the stakeholders as required. Proactively manage conflict.
• Identifies and/or challenges schedules that could create conflicts; evaluates all recommended changes and ensures implementation schedules do not interfere with business operations/other changes.
• Works with engineering/implementation to ensure that all the necessary documentation has been successfully completed for each release and task.
• Works with engineering/implementation to raise Request for Change (CRQ) for engineering specific changes. Ensures appropriate change details are documented.
• Reviews change requests for completeness, from description, documentation, risk/impact, and post-implementation
• Participate in the change management board; conducts release readiness reviews as appropriate.
• Arranges and facilitates appropriate post-implementation review activities if/as needed
• Maintains 100% compliance to all firm-wide Change Management policies (pre, during and post change).
• Participates in incident and problem analysis for possible consequences of a change and its implementation.
DESIRED JOB SKILLS
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, business or a finance related field/technical training. Must have strong analytical skills.
• Minimum of 7 to 10 years experience required in Technical role supporting network project/programs.
• Industry Certifications in PMP, ITIL are strongly preferred, technical certifications such as CCNA are a plus. Experience with Change Management and CAB processes and procedures a must.
• Strong background in IT service delivery role.
• Financial services (Insurance, Banking, Investment banking), is a plus.
• Ability to be nimble and flexible; prioritize work load, proactively react to issues and consistently react to shifting deadlines.
Ability to create meaningful data that contributes to the Change Management and Service Delivery processes.