Are you looking to take your career from good to great? As an employee of PenFed, every day is an opportunity to thrive, and be part of a team working to ensure our organization is providing world class service to our members, employees, and our communities. We exist to help our members realize their full potential, educate and encourage their dreams, and make every effort to follow our mission and help our members “do better.” Joining PenFed is more than being an employee; it’s about being a part of the PenFed family.
PenFed is hiring a Senior Manager, Consumer Underwriter and Processing, at our San Antonio, Texas location. The primary purpose of this job is to manage a Consumer Underwriting & Processing (CUP) department ensuring high quality member service, through the establishment and implementation of appropriate policies and procedures. This involves the supervision of a medium to large team of Consumer Loan Processors, Consumer Underwriters, as well managing team responsible for Loan Origination Partners (LOP).
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Design and manage objectives, goals and performance standards for the processing and underwriting of direct consumer loans and LOP loans.
- Collaborate with service center management staff in the development and support of corporate and business unit-level objectives, with the goal to meet and exceed those goals.
- Monitor and maintain staffing levels to ensure proper coverage as well as support the business and hours of operation, providing direct coverage for key position in case of absence.
- Assume the responsibilities of the Director in their absence, as it relates to CUP.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures for both the CUP team, as well as related departments.
- Assess the training and development needs of staff, instrumental in the development, recommendation, and implementation of programs that will increase job enrichment, employee satisfaction, increase efficiency, productivity and cost-effectiveness.
- Conduct performance appraisals, promotion reviews, salary recommendations, disciplinary action and terminations for staff.
- Act as liaison between external customers as well as internal customers, and various PenFed departments, to assist in problem resolution as well as providing and/or gathering data.
- Ensure that all monthly quality reviews are complete for all CUP positions in a timely manner.
- Provide input in the preparation of the CUP budget and ensures compliance of OpEx expenses; participate in the review of vendor contracts as required.
- Remain current on all changes to regulations and the systems, ensuring the timely implementation of all revisions.
- Ensure that appropriate audit trails are developed and maintained for the CUP team.
- Gather, compile and analyze data related to CUP, providing reports to appropriate Dir/VP and making recommendations.
- Maintain underwriter authority and acts on loans in accordance with Federal Credit Union Act and PenFed policies and procedures.
- Organize, head, and participate in special projects.
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field is required.
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ work experience in credit union or banking operations.
- Minimum two (2) years of underwriting experience is required.
- Minimum two (2) years of managerial or supervisory experience.
- Good analytical and statistical skills is required.
- Subject matter expertise in the areas of loan processing, underwriting, and industry trends, is strongly preferred.
- Ability to be accessible and responsive during on and off hours for operational emergencies and related SEV issues.
- Knowledge of PenFed structure, products, policies and procedures is a plus.
This position will directly supervise employees.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
Ability to travel to various worksites and be on-call may be required.
Special Message Regarding COVID 19
PenFed is continuing to hire and train exceptional individuals to help us serve our 2 million members both here and around the world. In light of the current situation with novel coronavirus (COVID-19), we have modified our hiring, onboarding, training, and deployment protocols in order to comply with current local and state guidance around social distancing.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 2 million members and over $26 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico and Okinawa. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 240-224-4256.