Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 107,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries
ABOUT ABBOTT DIAGNOSTICS:
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
We have a current opportunity for a Senior Software Engineer for R&D to work on the design, code development, testing and maintenance of embedded software applications in a regulated environment (FDA).
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Sr Software Engineer will help develop robotics control and scheduling applications used in a laboratory environment, automating the testing of donor blood and plasma. The ideal candidate will have experience in motion control and fluidics, utilizing servos and stepper motors to physically move mechanisms into position and valves and pumps to process fluids.
- Will contribute to the design and development of embedded robotic control software under a disciplined product development process that meets FDA and other regulatory requirements.
- Will work on software design, coding, and validation. Will support formal verification and validation testing, and ensure that development conforms to design specifications and coding standards.
- Work as part of a cross functional team to realize subsystem designs, assisting in the preparation of software design requirements and documenting work products via software design descriptions, design reviews, code reviews, unit testing, and formal verification.
- Design and implement low-level device control layer (driver level) software in current programming languages (e.g. C, C++).
- Design and implement application layer device control software utilizing statecharts to automate mechanical engineering designs.
- Assist in the evaluation of selected designs through testing and full documentation of the results.
- Investigate on-market issues, determine appropriate corrections, and implement those corrections underneath our software engineering process.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelors in Electrical or Computer Science or related engineering or scientific field.
- 8 yrs relevant experience and a Bachelor’s degree or 6 yrs with MS. Experience should be related to software design and/or coding.
- Good knowledge of software engineering principles
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- Experience with unit testing and mocking environments, (Google Unit Test, Google Mock, etc)
- 5 years experience with RTOS based applications (QNX, etc) and inter-process communications (persistent-publish-subscribe (PPS), application messaging/notifications, google protocol buffers, etc).
- Solid understanding of C++ and robotics and sensor control including state machine usage (boost statecharts, visual state, etc) and common algorithms (debouncing sensor inputs, slip detection, etc)
- Understanding of device level communications (as demonstrated by prior work).
Preferred location: Irving, TX. Alternate location: Lake Forest, IL
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.