Forestar Group Inc. is a residential lot development company and a majority-owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton, Inc., the largest homebuilder by volume in the United States since 2002.
Forestar Group is currently looking for Real Estate Counsel. The right candidate will manage and coordinate legal services, with emphasis on residential land acquisition, entitlement, and development. Advise the Regional Presidents, SVP – Real Estate Counsel, Division Presidents, Investment Managers, and other acquisition staff on real estate legal matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide legal advice related to land acquisition, including drafting and negotiating confidentiality agreements, letters of intent, purchase and sale agreements, deeds and related closing documents. Coordinate with region and division personnel and outside counsel to manage all land acquisition closings
- Analyze and assist in due diligence and entitlement efforts for acquisition targets, including title and survey review, environmental due diligence, analyzing zoning and land issues, and coordinating with outside consultants and counsel as necessary
- Review and comment on division submittals for acquisition of future development projects prior to final approval by corporate Investment Committee, including assessment of potential risk levels based on status of entitlements and applicable contracts and legal requirements
- Review, negotiate and approve vendor contracts (including site construction and professional services agreements), development agreements, easements, utility service agreements, and other ancillary documents necessary for commencement and completion of development
- Draft and negotiate agreements for the sale of developed lots and raw or partially developed land parcels, and manage all closings related to such transactions
- Along with internal HOA management staff, review and approve restrictive covenants and associated homeowners’ association documents
- Stay current on regulatory and compliance issues and developments in real estate law in relevant jurisdictions
- Manage support staff responsible for coordinating all closings (purchase and sale), vendor contract negotiation, and acquisition and development files
- Conducts all business in a professional and ethical manner to serve customers and increase the goodwill and profit of the company